Edge of Chaos

"I encourage you to come to the edge of chaos and learn with the children what life is really about." Raymond H. Hartjen

Monday, June 25, 2012

Multiage Vs. Split


***See sidebar for references.


In my ten years of teaching I have primarily taught split classes. (I should note that I refer to these classes as “split” classes as I have been directed to work with two different curriculums with my two groups of students.) During one period, I had taught one group of students for two years in a row. This was a particularly interesting experience as I learned a lot about students progression through curriculum and the dynamics of working with the same group of students over the course of two years. So, it was with great interest that I read the articles and power-point presentations on multi-age classrooms.



I believe that I have a unique perspective on this topic given my practical experience on split-grade education as most of my professional colleagues have avoided these classes. Teaching a “split” is understood to mired with pitfalls such as the constraints of attending to two curricula. Trying to get two distinct groups of students to achieve their specific sets of outcomes is not willingly embraced by many educators. In fact, on a daily basis I am told, “I don't know how you do it.”



The issues that are raised regarding “combined/split” classes spill over into the term “multiage” and as such there are misguided impressions of the latter. What does multiage really mean? More students? More of an age range among the students? More curriculum concepts to “cover?”



These fears were not easily placated as I read Dr. Stone's article, “Multi-age Education” as I felt overwhelmed by the messages contained therein. Repeatedly the phrase “the students will” and “the teachers will” kept popping up in the article and I kept interrupting the flow of the reading with the question, “How is this achieved?”


For example, Stone wrote, “You would see teachers using whole group, small group, and individual instruction based on the needs and interests of the children” (Stone, p.1). While this should not seem herculean or very far removed from my own practice, I was concerned as I reflected on the phrase “...instruction based on the needs and interests of the children.” Currently, the system that I am engaged in is focused on grade-specific curriculum that may or may not be of interest to my students. As much as I compact the curriculum and open the topics of one grade to another (very often in the guise of language arts) and I feel pressured to provide opportunities for students to meaningfully engage in topics of their specific grade.

Another area that I struggled with as I read Stone's article was the description of the  usage of curriculum in a multiage classroom as he wrote, “...the teacher uses the available curriculum like an assortment of tools from which to choose the most appropriate ones to fit the child’s learning needs” (Stone, p. 2).  While this may seem innocuous or perhaps idyllic to others I have grave concerns about how this may be done.

From my own experience I have had problems that have arisen when students come to me without the prior knowledge or experience that are required for my grade levels. If teachers chose their tools without little understanding or regard to the continuum of learning, gaps within a child's education may result. Currently I have the benefit of the wisdom of two particular math teachers in my school who I consult on a regular basis as they teach two grade levels above my own. These conversations are invaluable in helping me to effectively plan and support my students for not only where they are now, but   where they need to go with respect to the curriculum.

Obviously I am writing from my own experience of grade-level and curriculum-based teaching, but the central concern still holds in my opinion. If the choice of tools is not deliberate and based on the sound understanding of a child's development or of a sense of purpose than gaps may ensue. For example, in my conversations with others I have been horrified to hear how some teachers glibly admit that they hate teaching geometry and do very little work in this area in their classes. When questioned, these teachers assert that the students will get it eventually when they come to my classroom.

I found solace in reading Dr. Mulcahy's article, “Multiage and Multi-Grade: Similarities and Differences” as I understood the “virtues” that arose from the necessities that rural teachers in Newfoundland faced. In particular I felt vindicated as he wrote about “the two different timetables” as he wrote, “Such teachers often operated with two different timetables. An official one sent to the district office detailed the required graded format and 'time allotments.' An unofficial one kept in the drawer of the teacher's desk reflected a more flexible and responsive approach to learning and teaching actually followed in the classroom (Mulcahy, 2000).” If truth were to be told, I have an official copy of my own schedule and my unofficial one that is often put into place. To negotiate the myriad of outcomes I tend to “switch” things around to try to attend to both the demands of the curriculum and the needs and interests of my students.

I readily agree with Dr. Mulcahy's belief that many teachers would be willing to make changes to how their classes are structured as he states, “All they are waiting for is 'official' permission to do so” (Mulcahy, 2000). In my own practice I have enjoyed working with students whose age range is three years. The myriad of interests, experiences and places on the progression maps of various topics has made for rich discussions and wonderful learning experiences. However, having such a broad range of topics to “cover” and pigeonhole students into specific learning experiences can be a frustrating experience for all concerned. Often I feel as though I am doing a disservice to my students as I feel rushed to hurry them through a given topic so that I can meet deadlines and other constraints. As Mulcahy states, “Time and curriculum must be made flexible so learning is not held hostage to inappropriate schedules of coverage (Mulcahy, 2000).” Ultimately, I would love to experience a multiage classroom so that I could once again enjoy the wide scope of ideas and experiences that comes with teaching students with a three-year range of age. However I would like to do so without feeling “hostage” to the dictates of two curricula.

If were were to move away from “split/combined” classes and move towards multiage classrooms I have some unanswered questions which are as follows:

1. If students were moving from another district that focused on traditional grade based structures, where would the child be placed and how would this placement affect the child? Do we consider a child's development, age, previous school experiences, parent/guardian expectations?
2. How do we prepare students who are moving from a multiage classroom to a more grade-based classroom?
3. How do we support teachers to plan the curriculum for their classroom to reflect students developmental stages so that they are ready for the next stages of instruction, etc. in subsequent years?
4. If multiage classrooms are designed for both the teacher and students to move along together for two or three years what happens when their are severe behavioural or social issues at hand and the it is not recommended to keep certain children together in a classroom?
5. While the power-point presentations helped me to have a clearer vision of the pragmatics of a multiage classroom, I am curious to learn more about how a teacher can effectively plan, assess, and support the needs of students of various age levels in one classroom?
I look forward to learning more about the answers to these questions and other topics as I continue through this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment